Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Selection of Poems Dedicated to my Homeland

The idea of this collection is to portray what is beyond the commonly known facts about Venezuela.  Most of the common references that come to mind when mentioning Venezuela are oil, Chavez -the crazy president-, and its beauty queens.  The title, Underneath the Oil, reflects on what is beyond the oil, beyond the land, there is richness, there are natural landscapes, family ties, strength and most importantly I wanted to show the optimistic spirit of the Venezuelan people.
The titles of my poems have been written and to show the realization of being a bicultural person and dual citizen of two great countries. I was born in Venezuela, but raised in the United States; my lifespan is equally divided in both places.  Being bicultural, is more than just speaking two languages, it is really embracing each culture, their inside jokes, the ‘street’ talk, their colloquial slangs, the food, the idiosyncrasy of each country and feeling part of it (in each culture).  This is something that I recently managed to do, because originally I always felt like a Venezuelan living in the U.S., like a resident from another country.  After becoming an American Citizen, voting for one of the most important presidential elections and traveling to foreign countries in Europe, my heart grew towards America and I completely fell in love with the U.S.A.  I came to the realization that the U.S.A is by far the best country to live in, and to me, the best in the world, it is a country truly worthy of admiration and won a place in my heart just as much as my native Venezuela.

-Written in 2009 for my Poetry Class


In “The Sun’s Beloved Land”
The irony of returning home,
and seeing the old streets as if they were new.
My mind only knew how to compare,
the drastic differences between
the Venezuelan lifestyle,
and the American life that I had embraced.
I had to become familiar with the words again.
Specially the strong accent that Maracuchos have,
I had lost it to my surprise.
“Oh my God” was more natural to me,
I said it quite frequently, unpredictably.
My cousins laughed with me,
it entertained them when I spoke in English.
There I was with the ones that I grew up with,
and I was not entirely her anymore.
She was inevitably a person from two
places, two spaces, two belongings. 

Underneath Venezuela’s Oil

You, my rich land in diamonds and gold.
You, the queen of the South.
The pretentious, industrious exporter of oil.
You, the happiest in the world.[i]
Even with your flaws,
you were as free as Bolívar wanted you to be.
These days your tongue is held back with fear.
When you said no, it meant no, but the injustice of corruptors
persuaded you to say yes to an unfair amendment.[ii]
Your citizens’ dollars were capped.[iii]
Your televisions have been trapped,
chained with the image of that man.
As he leaves his traces,
your bills change their values
and their faces.
All the absurd alterations made to the Carta Magna…
Enough with the limitations!
If only Bolivar knew, what has become
of the liberty he left you.

The Bi-Life
From here and from there,
the two worlds in my days.
The tropic and the winter,
the noise and the stillness.
The spice and the mild,
the uniform versus style.

It is like two different patterns of fabric sewn together,
to make one garment of clothing.
It is not one, it is not the other,
It is the combination, the appreciation,
of what each world has to offer.

Back in “The Sun’s Beloved Land”
“Maracaibo” the sign stands out in the gate, as I am waiting to board the plane. The combination of those letters makes my heart miss a beat. Almost as if there was something about Maracaibo that I was avoiding and my unconscious brings out. And I surely was…
I did not want to go back to see how deteriorated the city would be how more insecure, more corrupted, more “revolutionized”. But no matter how ugly those news feed, there was the pulling of my roots, and no matter how far from it I may be, my love for this land, I could not pretend to leave behind. As I arrive, the emotions flourish from my being. The difficult times, that lead us to leave, the losses of significant people in my life, the losses of material belongings that lead us to move out to a foreign country. The joys, of sharing with my relatives, all who together made sure, there was nothing that my brother and I could have lacked.  They did not want us to miss out on anything my dad would have given us. All that came to my mind… and then I realized how thankful I still am to this land. No matter how much was lost, there is more energy, more passion, and more happiness that ties me to "The Sun’s Beloved Land."
  
Opposite Poles
Often your stubborn mindset,
leads to pointless conversations:
“The leftists, the opposition…”

Pushing through individual conflicts
between diverse views and inclinations.
Throwing a load of words right in their faces
again and again.

Your respectable voice, your admirable heart
and good intentions, all the known facts,
only counts as another attempt to
convince a person of what is best or right
while outside, there is an infinite universe.

Oh but how hard it is becoming to make out
who is more complicated?
You, for insisting in showing your light
or them for blocking it out...






[i] Venezuela holds the Guinness Record for being “The Happiest Country in the World”- 2008

[ii] President Chavez wins the referendum on a constitutional amendment for indefinite presidential reelection -February 2009
[iii] Venezuelan citizens traveling to foreign countries can only spend a maximum of USD$2,500.00 per year per person –January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment